Wednesday 25 January 2012

Evaluation Question 1


In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



Ways in which we used/challenged media conventions:





Starting the project was difficult for our group because we had to pick a song and decide the narrative we would take for it. It took a while to put our ideas together...

Before coming up with our final ideas we had to pitch some of our main ideas to our teachers. With the feed back we gained from them we were able to identify the challenging aspects for our music video ideas. This helped us in short listing our ideas.  We chose the song 'Example - Shot yourself in the foot again'.


Original video: Example- 'Shot yourself in the foot again'

Our video; 
PASSWORD- student




We watched the video and we instantly came up with ideas of what we would do to create our own video. We challenged many of the elements of the original music video and theories from different theorists. We conformed to some of Mulvey's theory although we done this in a different way. 


According to Mulvey's Theory "In a world ordered by sexual imbalance, pleasure in looking has


 been split between active/male and passive/female. The determining male gaze projects its


 fantasy onto the female figure which is styled accordingly". (Laura Mulvey, 1992)








We presented the passive female through the shots we used, our artist was 'urban' and for many women would be attractive. Unlike 50cent's candy shop... we used costume which was less revealing . We used a handheld camera and 'recording' edit to connote that the video was taken by a boyfriend. We aimed the camera on particular parts of the body e.g Bum and legs ...we done this without giving away too much. 


















With the handheld camera we wanted it the shots to seem like the boyfriend was paying attention his his favourite parts of her body.


Aspects of the videos that influenced us: 



The main link with the videos that inspired us were their use of rapid cuts to the beat. We wanted to use the same edit to create a represention that our character had ''cheated' or was reflecting on the women in the different shots. This was the most successful part of our music video. We paid particular attention to perfecting this because we had a very fast beat to cut the song to. Other inspirations were the different transitions used, after watching 'nothing on you' we experimented with different transitions although the cuts fit the best.


Digipak Influences

In terms of graphics and digipaks from the dubstep genre, the genre is presented as futuristic, colourful and usually breaks convention of the typical digipack in terms of colours, font and layout. Dubstep genre creates a youthful representations, being 'loud' and 'fun'. I did a lot of research on different digipaks and different graphics from the dubstep genre because i wanted to present the genre effectively through my work.



When I first started the project I used the 'Breaking' element found on many dubstep digipaks and graphics. This was influenced by a record graphic that I found on google images....


The only problem i had using this was that it was a copywritten image, i then decided to try and create my own version of the broken record, but with a CD. This was unsuccessful for me because of the little experience i had in Photoshop and the very little time I had...

Instead I incorporated the use of colours to create my own graphic, which was a use of different 'splash' templates in different colours. This linked in with the video because of the different graffiti backgrounds in our  video. These had a use of variety of colours, the backgrounds linked in with my digipak.


I felt that my digipak not only linked with my music video but it created a representation of what to be aware of in the album. It was important that I didn't not make my digipak based around one song, because i was creating a digipak and advertisement for an album and not a single. Our use of colour was unisex, this was because we wanted to not only appeal to just dustep fans but to also reach out to those that are open to new music.
 I think the mise en scene of mt digipak would be 'loud' and unconventional and presents a connection to the dupstep genre.


My Digipak and Advertisement:
 To link the digipak, to my
advertisement I kept a consistent colour scheme and use of font. I felt that this is important to familiarise the audience with the album so they are aware what they are buying when they go to the shops.

I felt it was very important to expand the ways in which our album would be advertised. Particually because of the developement in media, A use of different forms of advertisement would allow different audiences to access our artists music. I have particually used Social networking sites. Facebook, Twitter and Youtube...On all of these sites it is possible to share the digipak to friends and other people, this would therefore expand our audience.


Font:
My fonts were inspired by fonts from different dupstep digipaks. The fonts have a eroded/ breaking element.  I went through numerous fonts before I came across my final fonts I felt these fonts connoted the dubstep genre successfully.


Below are some dubstep texts and graphics that inspired my final ancillary print products. 




My Ancillary Print products;






No comments:

Post a Comment